All About Orphan Relative Visa Subclass 117

This visa lets a child live in Australia who is single or orphan and come to Australia to live with a relative if their parents are dead, are unable to care for them or can’t be found. Visa Subclass 117 is a permanent visa, it lets the child stay in Australia indefinitely.

Orphan Relative Visa Subclass

Visa 117 is a permanent visa for children from overseas whose parents are unable to care for them. This Visa Subclass 117 is relevant for the children who are below18 years of age and whose parents are unable to care for them. It allows the child travel to Australia and lives in Australia with an Australian relative.


With this visa the child can


  • travel to and stay in Australia indefinitely
  • work and study in Australia
  • enrol in Australia’s public healthcare scheme
  • sponsor relatives to come to Australia
  • apply for Australian citizenship, if eligible
  • travel to and from Australia for five years
  • Travel to and from Australia for 5 years


The child can travel to and from Australia as many times as the child want for 5 years. If the child wants to travel after the initial 5-year travel facility:


they will have to apply for and be granted a Resident Return (RRV) so they can re-enter Australia as a permanent resident

they might also want to consider Australian citizenship. If they become an Australian citizen, they won’t require a visa to enter Australia. They will have to apply for an Australian passport and use it to leave and re-enter Australia.


How long the child can stay


This is a permanent visa. The child can stay indefinitely. For citizenship purposes, the child becomes a permanent resident on the day they enter Australia on the visa.

Include other children

If the child has siblings who also want to apply then apply with a separate application for each sibling.

The child’s dependent children can be included on their application when they apply.

Dependent children of the child who apply for the visa must meet the health requirement

Family members who are not coming to Australia also have to meet the health requirement.

Apply from

Visa Subclass 117 is an offshore visa so the child must be outside Australia at the time when the application is made.


Processing times

  • Processing times are not available for this visa but the application might take longer to process if:
  • it is not filled in correctly or properly
  • it does not include all the documents
  • you do not pay the correct visa application charge


The processing time for this visa is not available it may take longer. The process may seem complex however ISA Migrations & Education Consultants are here to assist you in your application from start to finish. Visit Migration Agent Perth today!

Leave a Reply