Don’t you just love binge-watching your favorite shows on Netflix, while you scroll through Facebook and tell “Alexa”; your personal virtual assistant to order your favorite meal from a restaurant nearby? Really makes you say “Ah! What a time to be alive!” right?
Imagine if you could have just as much fun while learning in school! Yes, it has been a collective dream of all students who have to do the tedious task of learning through conventional or better said “boring” methods. Well, it’s safe to say that this wish is now being turned into a crazy reality with the role of wireless networking, taking students on a rollercoaster of a fun learning experience!
Wait for a second umm….What’s wireless networking?
The word “Wireless networking “in itself is explanatory; computer networks that are not connected by cables of any kind (no by magic though!)However, when it comes to understanding it in simple words, I would simply call it a system that allows various enterprises to avoid the otherwise expenses that comes with cables between different equipment locations.
Want me to bring in some interesting “science” words here?
Let my inner science-lover do the talking now (promise you won’t be bored) Well, wireless networks use radio waves to interlink devices such as laptops and phones to the Internet, the business network and a ton of applications. When laptops are connected to Wi-Fi hot spots in public places, the connection is established to that business’s wireless network and voila!!!
There are four main types of wireless networks:
- Wireless Local Area Network (LAN)
- Wireless Metropolitan Area Networks (MAN)
- Wireless Wide Area Network (WAN)
- Wireless Personal Area Network (PAN)
K-12 and educational technologies…How are they relevant?
Basically, K-12 is a term used in education and educational technology in the United States, Canada, and possibly other countries. It’s a short form for the government-supported school grades prior to college level. Yes, I mean exactly, kindergarten (K) and the 1st through the 12th grade!
Now let’s get to the topic and talk about all the interesting ways in which the education sector is being influenced by 5 of the most iconic wireless networking systems. Ready? Read on!
1. Special events in school- competitive gaming is the new trend!
A true dream comes true for gaming fanatics for sure! You read that right…..competitive gaming really has become the newest trend in schools, thanks to wireless networking! Evidence is piling up to support the benefits of competitive gaming in K–12 schools. This has inevitably spurred administrators to start programs in their own districts and increase their connectivity.
The educational websites based suggests that the introduction of official e-sport programs have proved to help students develop integral team-building skills that are more commonly associated with traditional athletics.
- It enables them to communicate with ease
- Allows cognitive learning as they think of various strategies in different circumstances
- Healthy discussions teach the important values like respecting opinions and learning from mistakes
- It boosts problem-solving and spatial reasoning skills
Want to know something amazing? A majority of educators agreed that video games can, in fact, help K–12 learning! In a recent study from educational nonprofit Project Tomorrow, nearly 62 percent of teachers reported using video games in their classrooms.
The above-mentioned factors have also been discussed by the writing services UK based and they portray that there’s a lot to gain from e-sport programs in schools and thus, it’s not surprising that many administrators and IT leaders are now investing in this! If you’re a gamer like me, then my friends, you’ve hit the jackpot!
2. Digital Literacy Programs Prepare Students for a Tech-Enabled Future!
I believe that it’s important to prepare students for the increasingly technological world today. This is important because if I put myself in such a situation where I don’t know how to operate basic devices, I would not be as competitive as my other peers.
It is a fact and an ongoing reality suggested by cheap assignment writing services UK that students in the modern world have more access to the internet than we would’ve ever imagined, all thanks to the personal devices that they are exposed to.
K–12 students have more access to the internet than ever, thanks to the multitude of personal devices at their fingertips.
Is it even worth the fuss?
Simply put, students in the modern world are NOT the same as us. We have completely different thought processes and learning outcomes and it’s important to highlight this factor first, before going any further.
- Students learn better when they have their peers involved in the same task
- Literary programs allow a friendly competitive environment for learning
- Digital citizenship training recruits students to work as digital responsibility mentors for better curricula
- Today’s learners can know about core values of being safer on the internet through these programs
- It sharpens their cognitive learning capacities and teaches them beyond a book
- Gives them a better understanding of threat like cyberbullying and hacking
In practical life, I would want to see students in learning to be responsible digital citizens and treat others with kindness and respect. Since cyberbullying is a social issue in recent years, such programs can teach them notions beyond a curriculum!
3. Wi-Fi enabled buses? The future is here!
I remember being a child and not being able to catch my school van in time, consequently missing school. I’m glad to tell you that today’s learners will not have to face such issues anymore because of the wi-fi enabled buses that can be tracked through smartphones, upon arrival!
Not only this but if any student goes missing, this smart technology allows them to be tracked and found, according to the routes it takes at different dates and times every day.
Missed your homework and just remembered on the bus? No problem because you can get all the assistance you need from the internet on your school bus and get it done with!
- 4G LTE has made it possible for the bus drivers to alert the school administration upon its arrival
- You can easily witness and stream live surveillance footage in case of incidents or emergencies
- Mobile routers allow the school to offload footage when the next bus parked up
- Getting insights into rick telematics data allow cost efficiency
- Improving the speed of stops can reduce wastage of time
4. Digital signage in main buildings- Say goodbye to campus management gaps!
Well, it’s quite evident how educational institutions today comprise of large buildings. By that, I mean that they require much more efficient communication mediums that would allow them to build connectivity at all times. In most cases, law assignment help UK websites suggest the situation is such that the institution branches operate in entirely different cities! I’ll tell you what; as great as that sounds, there can be great managerial faults in the campuses with a lack of proper use of wireless networking.
So, is there a solution to this?
It gives me the bliss to say that thankfully, there are quite many solutions that techno-experts have come up with. In order to maintain efficiency in work and keep all campuses strung under a single roof, the following solutions have proved to be beneficial:
- Setting up of branch continuity solution that converts LTE into a strong connection
- Campuses are beginning to implement digital signage throughout because the text can be adjusted remotely, at a momentary notice
- An LTE-enabled IoT router solution makes it easy to place digital signage anywhere on campus without having to extend fiber connections to support the sign
- IT teams benefit from solutions that also provide out-of-band management capabilities through the cloud, allowing them to use LTE connectivity to remotely access either a primary router or LAN-connected devices
5. Increased campus safety and security
Nothing is more important to parents and the institutions’ faculty than the safety of the students there. What I can tell you is that campus security can be increased to great extents with the advent of wireless networking. If you’re wondering how and are keen to know then I’d suggest you read on and get ready to be astonished!
- To help keep children safe, some districts install cloud-managed IoT solutions to maintain a constant connection to security cameras.
- Some districts have their own police force and install mobile routers within their law enforcement vehicles to maintain data and video connectivity between officers and the district.
- Natural disaster sensors are connected to the school systems to alert them
As much as it sounds like a scene from a Hollywood movie, it’s actually here and being used in today vastly technological world. I would also like to add that the trends of wireless networking have just begun and they are going to reach high prospects in the near future. Not only will it help to develop the institution’s efficiency, but, will also fill all gaps!
Sara Johns Adrian, a Post Graduate in Computer Science from Rockwood University was born in Manchester. She is currently working as a Content Contributor at Best Assignment writer. Her professional experience includes Content Writing service at top-notch educational sectors.