The ‘Spring’ is just a couple of months away. I am eagerly waiting to enjoy the mild weather and work in outdoors again. There is nothing in this world more pleasant to work from home with a cup of tea or coffee on a beautiful day to enjoy what the ‘Nature’ has to offer us. Just imagine – having WiFi access to stream your live TV shows, listen to music or watch online movies from your courtyard, or to be able to work effectively on your laptop, wireless computer or tablet directly from your patio.
For a complete Netgear new extender setup and installation guide read on!
Since Netgear wireless extenders are the best way to gain fast internet access all across your home and workplace. As per the unique needs and use of different users – ‘Netgear’ offers various outstanding models. You can select whichever works in the best way for your web requirements and existing wireless network usage.
What is a Netgear WiFi range extender?
Prior to getting started with your setup and installation process, it is the best idea to learn more about wireless range extenders. Though routers are the most essential element of your home networking system but sometimes they need a helping hand to spread the wireless network to every poor connectivity areas of your house. This is where Netgear smart WiFi range extenders come in.
Netgear Extender Setup: The Installation Guide
- Plug the device (Extender) into a power source that is near to your main networking router.
- As soon as you plug in your device, the power LED on it will light solid green. If it doesn’t, push the power button.
Connect your device (computer or laptop) to the Netgear extender using a WiFi or a wired Ethernet connection:
- A wired Ethernet connection requires an Ethernet cable to connect the Ethernet port on your range extender to an Ethernet port on your device (computer or laptop).
- For a wireless/WiFi connection, you have to connect your computer or laptop to the Netgear extender’s default network name (SSID) called Netgear_Ext.
Once a reliable connection with your WiFi-enabled device is established successfully, the ‘Client Link LED’ on your device lights solid green.
- Head to your preferred internet browser and go to mywifiext setup page. For this, you have to carefully enter ‘mywifiext net’ (without quotes) into the URL bar.
Note: If you experience mywifiext not working issue, then make sure that you are not typing the web address in the browser’s search bar.
Now, the Netgear Genie setup page will appear.
- You might see a button ‘New Extender Setup’. If yes, the please click on it.
- Create a valid account – complete the fields carefully and click on Next once done.
Is your Access Point/Extender switch set to Extender? Please verify and after that, click on Continue.
- Now, select your main router’s WiFi network. Once done, click on Next.
Don’t want to extend both WiFi bands? If yes, then please clear the 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz WiFi networks checkbox.
- Type the router’s existing WiFi network password in the ‘Password’ field and click on NEXT.
- Now, for your range extender, you have to set the network name/SSID and password/passcode. Click on the Next button once done.
- Use your Netgear extender’s WiFi network name and password (created by you) and connect your internet device to your new extender’s WiFi network.
- Click on continue. But prior to clicking the button, please ensure that your WiFi-enabled devices are successfully connected to the extender WiFi network.
A confirmation message will display.
- Here, you have to click on Next.
Registration page will display.
- Complete all the registration fields carefully.
- Click on Finish to complete your Netgear extender setup process.
The Status page will now display.
Unplug your range extender and take it to a new location. Please note this down that the location you choose must be within the range of your existing WiFi router.
Netgear extender setup for MAC
Given below are the complete steps to install a Netgear WiFi range extender with Apple or MAC devices.
- Plug in your Netgear extender.
- Make sure that your router and the range extender are placed in the same room. During the setup process, please avoid interference of thick walls, cordless phone, baby monitors, and Bluetooth speakers.
- Connect your Apple, iOS, iPad, iPhone, or MAC air book to the Netgear range extender via Ethernet cable.
- Load up a Safari browser.
- Type mywifiextnet local or mywifiext local into the address bar for the setup and installation of your WiFi range extender.
- Enter the login details.
- Follow the instructions carefully as per mentioned on your displayed screen
- Click on save once done.
Now, after the successful setup process, you can unplug your extender and plug it to a new location.
If you’ve stuck at any point, you can take instant professional help to make the Netgear extender setup process simpler. Just dial a toll-free number 1-855-844-0144 and ask us for Netgear support.